Monday, March 5, 2012


Well, I finished my zimarra and write up well on time, and have everything sent in. Waiting to see everyone's results from that before I post pictures of it here.

In the meantime I have been working on some quilting with my mother and aunt, and after that......oooooh there's just so many things that I want to do. What's been most on my mind of late is regency era clothing. There's been alot more of that floating around recently, and Zach and I have a chance to attend a gala in April and so why would I not take advantage of the opportunity and try my hand at something I have not done much of in the past?  I have been filling up some of my free time researching this dainty and romantic style and believe I have a pretty good idea of what I would like to do. 

For me;

Chemise - a very simple muslin chemise with a drawstring neckline, mid-calf length with several rows of tucks just above the hem.

Short stays - I really don't need much support in the bodice area and could probably do with a corded bodice in the petticoat, but what fun would that be? Its been a while since I've made anything in the 'corset' family, so this will be a good, small re-introduction. I'll probably use muslin or scraps of linen.

Bodiced Petticoat - self-explanatory, will also make this out of muslin, with a drawstring closure at the back waist, and a row of ruffles around the bottom hem.

Ball Gown - I have the gown drawn out on paper, just yet to decide if I wish to use the ivory silk that I have in my stash or go with something lighter like a voile or chiffon? Pleated bodice and a tiered skirt, with very decorated puffed sleeve. Maybe a bit on the gaudy side pattern wise for the era, but with very light flowy fabrics. 

And then possibly a velvet Spencer Jacket and a Poke Bonnet, but we'll see if I have the time and ambition when I get to that point.  The good thing about this outfit is that I could make everything from stash, with the exception of some more muslin, which is fairly affordable anyway (and I am aware that today's modern muslin is not the same as what was used in period, but will be close enough for dabbling in this time period). The other good thing is that most of the construction is very simple and straight-forward and shouldn't take me much time at all.

And for Zach;

shirt - muslin, dropped shoulder sleeves, no ruffles or embroidery so it should be the quickest shirt I've ever made for him!

(And this is where I am still a bit foggy on the terminology, so correct me if you happen to know different.)

Breaches - long narrow legged pants with buttoned front panel, will either make out of black, navy or white linen. I'm not very good with pants in general so this will be the interesting part to make fit.

Waistcoat - silk or linen vest, double breasted ....should also be simple, in theory any way

Tailcoat - jacket with large collar, long tails in back and very short in front. I have some dark blue wool in my stash that should be sufficient for this, need to find to find some military looking gimp and buttons for this as that would be the look he prefers.

Cravat-  Will make this from a long strip of silk. the interesting part will be learning how to tie it.....

His will be much more of a learning experience and I will definitely have to put more time into it, doing some more research and then with the tailoring.  I will also have to spend more on his as I will need to find suitable materials for his breaches and waistcoat. 

Depending on how quilting goes and a few business projects, I'll probably be starting my ensemble by week's end.

No comments:

Post a Comment