Thursday, May 26, 2011

Quick Update

Just sent in another IRCC update in this morning. Since I'm short on time this morning, ill just post pictures here for now.

So I can cross out drawers and garters off my list. I'm now working on hemming and trimming my veil. Going on that has been painfully slow so far, since rolled hemming sheer silk chiffon is not the easiest thing in the world to do.

I also had a little hiccup with the green velveteen I was planning to use for my overdress. it had been a while since I had looked closely at it, so when I unfolded it the other day I was irked to find that it has that rather obnoxious rubberized backing.  SO....made a special shopping trip to the city and I was able to find some rough silk in the exact pale gold as the floss I've been using, but now I need to find a suitable lining for that as the black linen I was planning to use for the green just wont go. I have some ideas, but this hiccup wasn't really budgeted for. Oh well.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Finally Finished With One Thing

The camicia is finally finished! It took alot longer than I was planning, but I am very happy with the results. The entire thing is done by hand. 

I  rolled-hemming all the individual pieces, and assembled them using a herringbone type stitch.  The cuffs are smocked by hand, the embroidered band added, and then trimmed in a narrow gold lace. They tie shut with braided cord. I also smocked the neckline by hand, and stitched the gold lace over the edge. I am still thinking of going back and attatching a linen tape to the inside to help re-enforce the smocking threads, but I am currently to anxious to get on to the next part. One thing I have also learned is that, even though it may take longer to individually hem all the little gussets and gores and bodice pieces, it sure make Y seams much easier to do and looks much nicer.  

 Now I'm on to a smaller project, one that won't take nearly as long, either the drawers, stockings or garters....

Monday, May 2, 2011

Just a Little Update

So I haven't actually been doing much sewing, but I made some acquisitions. I bought some misshapen pearl beads for my girdle, I'm still not sure what I'm doing for my girdle, but this is a start. I also got around to order some sheer silk for my veil. Its from a place I've never ordered from before, and its a weave that I'm not familiar with, but it was set at such a good price I though I would risk it....we shall see what happens. And earlier this afternoon, m'lord and I stopped in to check out a consignment shop, and found a pair of furs, about long enough for a Zibellino, but I'm unsure of what sort of animal they be...they are a beautiful reddish brown with longer black hairs, and its really soft and on the fuzzy size. I figured I knew a bit about fur-bearers since I've dabbled in tanning a fox or two...The guy at the shop said they were something from Asia. ...So who knows. Either way, they are beautiful and I really like them and I think one of them shall work very nicely with my dress.
I was hoping to get my camicia done this weekend, but ended up doing other things. I ought to be able to finish my embroidery tonight though with no problem.