Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Trim Problem

So I have the bodice mostly put together,  just need to do the topstitching and work the eyelets, and resolve  a problem that has surfaced with the trim not fitting together with the the shoulder seams as I had hoped.

The bodice is interlined with one layer of medium weight linen/cotton and a layer (two layers center front) of wool flannel. I used the flannel  in lieu of felt as it was what I had on hand. Its much thinner however, so we will see how well it works. I decided against any cording  or boning, as the dress will already be heavy without it and I unfortunately have very little in the bodice area that needs supporting. The lining is black cotton velvet. I'm not sure at what point I decided to line my bodices with velvet, but there is something very nice about having a plush layer on the inside. This will be the third bodice I am lining like this. Unfortunately, I doubt that that is period,  but I haven't really researched it yet. One of these days when I have extra time....

So to the trim problem...When I drew out the pattern for the appliqué, there was  an unavoidable  1/2 inch gap in the pattern where the shoulder seam would be on each side. I had figured I would simply insert another 1/2 inch oval in the opening and it shouldn't be too noticeable. But somewhere along the line something stretched...or now there is about a 1 inch gap on each shoulder and I am not really sure what to do about it. I can't take in the seams in  either, as its already very snug along the shoulders. I'm open to suggestions.


  1. The trim looks intentional and perfect to me. I really don't think you need to do anything.

  2. I agree with Crystal, leave it!