Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Camicia sleeves finished

Sleeves are finished, just need to put buttons on the cuffs.  The rest of the camicia should go fairly quickly. I am planning wide front/back pieces with no side gores, so construction will be simple. Hopefully I'll have it done sometime this week.

I'm not very happy with how the embroidery turned out. It looks allot plainer than I was hoping, but at least its something, and I don't really feel like putting much more work into a cotton camicia.
The pieces of the camicia are roll-hemmed as usual. But just to jazz it up a bit I joined the pieces with herringbone stitches in two different colors, white and blue. It took a bit of concentration at first to get the thread to go over or under the right thread to get an even pattern, but after I figured it out it went pretty quick.
There are four button loops on each cuff. I made then as I normally do, looping the thread through the fabric twice and then going over it with button-hole stitches. But on these, I also joined the bottom half or so of each side of each loop to create a 'shank'. This seemed the best way to do it with the pleats being how they are. I thought about doing hook and eye, but chose not too as I always have problems with them slipping apart to easy or not at all.

I ended sewing the pleats down to strips of bias tape on the inside at about 2 inch increments. I loosely marked the lines with water soluble pen, which I will wash out once I have the pleating around the neckline complete.

And...I have very little planned for the next two weeks, so hopefully I shall be able to get quite a bit of sewing accomplished and 'catch-up' for a little while at least.

1 comment:

  1. Love the herringbone joining method you used on the camisia. I'd like to try something like that on my next one....